10 mood boosters to flip your bad mood around
It's definitely no secret that everyone has been feeling very up and down lately. Some days are way worse than others, I like to call it the COVID-19 Emotional Rollercoaster ride. None of us bought tickets for the ride yet we all seem to be on it.
I thought I'd share with you a list of my top 10 mood boosters, I've been doing these things to help get through my COVID meltdowns & stinking moods.
- Dance party - Yep, you heard me! Put on your favourite song and just start dancing & singing along to it. I did this the other day in my living room, I felt like an absolute fool but after the first few seconds I got so into it, I was laughing so hard and smiling at myself for the first time in a long time. One song ended up to a whole playlist of my fave old school tunes. It turned in to an incidental massive fun sweat session. The bets part about it was I felt so good, confident and happy after it. I guess some would say I was feeling like Beyoncè…haha
- Box it out - I recently downloaded the Centr app and oh my goodness I'm hooked! I have grown a new found love for literally punching out my sh*t moods! I've never been very good at boxing with a partner but I am absolutely loving the shadow boxing workouts to get my heart rate up and punch away any angry or bad mood I have. There are o many different apps or youtube workouts you can try, but I highly recommend trying a shadow boxing workout, it feels so so good!!
- Press play on your favourite playlist - Music is an instant mood boaster! Put on your favourite tracks and watch your mood change.
- Clean - Cleaning my house always puts me in a good mood. I make the bed put my washing away and clean the bathroom. It’s like having a nice fresh clean start after it’s all done :) Plus putting away the clutter helps declutter your mind too. Clean spaces = clear minds
- Phone a friend - Sometimes it’s easy to forget we can actually pick up the phone and call our friends. Our generation is so use to instant messaging but sometimes there is noting better than an old fashioned phone call or FaceTime/Zoom/House Party whatever it is you’re using these days. Don’t forget the importance of human connection, I think we’re all needing a massive dose of love from our friends to fill up our love cups at the moment.
- Smile - Fake it if you have to, but just putting a smile on your face can change the way you feel. Smiling releases endorphins in the body and as we all learnt in Legally Blonde - “Endorphins make you happy…”
- Spritz yourself - Spray your favourite perfume on in the morning or when you’re in a bad mood. The scent of the perfume goes into the memory part of the brain and will bring back the memories of when you were wearing it. Recently I have been wearing the perfumeI wore at my wedding and it’s been making me so happy and reminding me of being with all my loved ones.
- Self talk - This one isn’t so easy especially if you’re already in 'a mood'… BUT try it anyways. Try to flip the way you’re thinking and way you’re talking to yourself. If I’m in a bad mood or having a bad day, sometimes I will make a list in my head of 5 things that could have happened that would have made my day way worse, this makes me realise my day isn't actually that bad. I also start every day by thinking and saying “today is going to be a great day.” Give it a try next time you’re in a bad mood & also try starting your days with "today is going to be a great day" and see if/how it shifts your mindset for the day.
- Breathe it out - Take 5-10 mins to sit or lie down and focus on your breath. I either use an app for this (One Giant Mind is my go too but there are heaps out there) or just do breathing exercises on my own that I have learnt from doing yoga. My favourite breathing exercise is one where you inhale for 4 counts, hold your breath at the top and then exhale everything in your lungs for 6 counts. You continue this count or you can keep adding 2 counts to your inhale & exhale. The exhale always needs to be 2 counts longer. I love this breathing excise for when I’m trying to quieten my mind before going to sleep. Meditation is amazing at shifting your energies around and bringing your awareness inside you. Give it a try next time you’re feeling really anxious or stressed, even if it’s just for a couple of minutes.
- Hair & Make up - This may not be your thing but I feel 100 times better when I have a bit of make up on and my hair done, even if it’s just in a big messy bun. The last few days I’ve been adding some lipstick just to make myself feel a little extra, even if the only people I’m seeing is my husband and the postman. I feel my best when I take a little extra time ‘doing myself up’ and putting some effort into my appearance. I have also noticed when I don't do it I don't feel good and therefore it snowballs into how I feel and act for the rest of the day.
I am no professional, but I thought I’d share some tips that have been working for me especially during this time where we are all on such an emotional rollercoaster. I have found reading other people's tips and stories during this time so comforting as it can be easy to think you're the only person feeling this way. We have got this guys and it is only temporary!! Stay strong & stay safe! xx
If you have any handy tips that have been game changers for you we’d absolutely love to hear them! Send them through to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo credit: Photographer @Soniarossy Model @Danielarose930 @Saravcooper
Sara & Daniela are wearing our Electric Eva Set