20 questions to get to know about Mari Yammas - Pilates instructor for Keep it Cleaner
1. Have you ever had a nickname?
I have had lots and lots of nicknames! I don't like to tell people my nicknames because I like to see what they can come up with on their own - it means any nicknames remind me of certain people!
2. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What colour would you be and why?
I would be rainbow because it means I get to be all the colours in one. Is that a sneaky answer? Ok if I had to be one it would be engine red because it is bright and fun.
3. Who's your hero?
I don't have just one hero; I think everyone who gets up and persists with something in line with what they believe in, no matter how big OR small, is a hero in their own right.
4. What did you have for breakfast?
I had a banana and berry smoothie, and also two tim tams. And a cup of English breakfast tea.
5. Favourite post workout snack?
Post workout, if I'm leaving the gym or a class, I tend to swing past the supermarket and pick up a peanut butter KIC bliss ball, and also any food that I need for dinner! I also tend to have the music up loud on the drive home, if it was a sweaty cardio class and I'm still amped up from it :)
6. What makes you laugh the most?
My laughs are cheap I think! If you make a joke I will probably find it funny. 95% of the movie 'Bridesmaids' makes me laugh. Other people's laugh makes me laugh. Can I tell you one thing that does NOT make me laugh? Frasier - my brother loves that show and I just do not find it entertaining AT ALL. Is anyone else with me on this?!
7. What does your perfect day look like?
Sleep ins, doing Pilates, eating yummy fresh food, and spending time with people I love, preferably outdoors in nature. Also, a good playlist.
8. How would you describe your job to a child?
I teach people how to move better so that their bodies feel as good as they can!
9. What song would you sing at karaoke night?
Anything Beyonce or Mariah :)
10. Where in the world would you love to go on holiday?
The Maldives to see that 50 shades of blue water. That would be a dream.
11. If you could give one piece of advice to your younger self what would it be, and why?
Don't be afraid to chase your dreams, and do not worry about what everyone else might be thinking! Also, you have the power to forge your own path in life!
12. What's your secret talent?
13. What motivates you to work hard?
The satisfaction of knowing I committed to something that I am passionate about, that might also help others.
14. How would you define being Happily Active?
I would define it as being active without the pressure, or negative self talk. Being active and looking after our bodies is a sign of respect to our bodies and all that they can do.
15. If you had the choice between two superpowers, being invincible or flying, which one would you choose and why?
I would go with flying, because I think we spend too much time wanting to be invisible when we should be happy being present in the world and in our one life.
16. If you could compare yourself with any animal, which would it be and why?
A dolphin, because I feel like it would be a fun life zipping through the ocean!
17. What’s your favourite way to get Happily Active at the moment?
Pilates, and my not so secret favourite cardio form of exercise is Zumba - such a good way to shake off any stress after a long day, I always leave feeling so happy and upbeat.
18. What's your proudest achievement in the last 12 months?
Starting Pilates teacher training - it has been on my list for a while so I'm thrilled that I finally got moving with it. I'll tell you a little secret I have always hated the idea of presenting and public speaking BUT teacher training means I'm talking about something I am so so passionate about that my fears just disappeared!
19. What are your top three workout songs?
Currently I'm loving music from SG Lewis, Khalid, and Childish Gambino.
20. What's your favourite quote/mantra and why?
'You are enough.' - I think it's important for us to remember that we are already enough because I think it is easy to fall into a trap of perpetually seeking out a change or achievement, or 'thing' to feel better, when really, we are already enough. That's not to say we shouldn't strive for anything, but more to say that just being YOU makes you enough before anything else :)
Find Mari on Instagram: @i_do_pilates
Mari is wearing our Electric Eva Set in the feature image. Shop now