Our Go-To Night Time Routine To Enhance A Good Night's Sleep
There is no denying importance of a good sleep for our mental health & wellness. I know when I haven't been sleeping well I get extremely anxious. So to help stay on top of my anxiety this week I am prioritising my sleep and putting in place a night time routine to help me get the best night's sleep possible.
I thought I would share it with you to help keep me accountable and you may also find it helpful.
Night time routine for a great night's sleep:⠀⠀
- Dinner eaten before 7:30pm⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Oil diffuser with "Sleep Oil" - I turn this on in my bedroom an hour before bedtime to his helps create a relaxing & calm space⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Warm Shower/Bath - If i'm having a bath I add lavender oil and magnesium salts/EPSOM salts⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Cover my body in relaxing body lotion⠀⠀
- Temperature control. It's easy in winter to have the heaters blasting and be layered up in warm clothing. It's important when going to be you are not too hot or you will struggle to go to sleep. I try to keep this in mind when choosing my PJs too.
- Activate red light filter around 7pm. I have set up the red light filter on my phone to block out all the blue lights. This is an amazing feature on the iPhone. This feature is also amazing to use when you're feeling anxious - If you're interested in reading more about it or want to activate it on your phone - click here⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Phone down by 9pm ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Read my book - Spend half an hour to an hour reading my book each night instead of mindlessly scrolling on social media⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Practice gratitude - Each. night before I go to sleep I say 3 things I am grateful for that happened that day. I love finishing my days doing this and reflecting on all the positives that have happened. Even on those not so great days there's always something to be grateful for, sometimes we just have to look a little harder. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If I'm really struggling to switch my racing mind off or just struggling to fall asleep I will put a sleep story on - I have been using the Calm app for these (not sponsored). ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My Favourite ones that I always go back to are:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Wonder - Matthew McConaughey⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Gratitude - Anna Acton⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Island of Dreams - Allie Michelle⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Crossing Ireland by Train - Cillian Murphy⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
If you have any great tips that you'd like to share with us drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org⠀⠀⠀