Mindful Movement with Xtend Barre South Yarra
It’s safe to say that the past 4 months has, and continues to take, a heavy toll on our motivation and resilience. And that’s why it’s more important than ever to stay mindful and look for ways to shift our energy towards a positive outlook. Staying attuned to how our bodies and minds work together as one is a great place to start!
How important is the mind-body connection?
It’s no secret that nourishing our mind, body and soul goes a long way to helping us stay resilient, especially during challenging times. Personally, if Lockdown 1.0 put a spotlight on anything it was the importance of moving my body every single day. I noticed an incredible difference to my mental health between the days I moved and the days I didn’t. I had gone from having a very busy lifestyle running around after 3 young kids and running my studio to suddenly being at home, a lot!
There’s a definite positive shift in my energy on the days I just press play and move – I go from deflated and despondent to calm and hopeful. And it doesn’t have to be a full-on workout, quite often a simple 10 min stretch is enough pull me out of my funk! It’s taking that time to simply focus on connecting my mind to my body that makes all the difference.
What helps you when you’re feeling stressed?
When I’m feeling overwhelmed these 3 simple ways help me shift my energy to a more positive attitude:
- Focussing on my breath. Inhale for 8 counts, hold for 4 then slowly exhale for 8. Repeat 3 times.
- Moving my body. This could be as simple as a 10 mins stretch or a 45 mins Xtend Barre class.
- Mindfulness. Taking a moment to just be present in the moment is an amazing way at stop the incessant chatter in my head. Especially during exercise when the burn is kicking in and I feel like giving up!
What are the benefits of mindfulness during exercise and how do you apply it?
- A stronger connection to your body: When you focus on each exercise, the muscles you're working, and what you're actually accomplishing, you get more out of each exercise and each workout.
- Better results: When you focus on what you're doing, you improve the quality of your movement and, as a result, the quality of your overall workout.
- More satisfaction: When you know exactly what you're working, how each exercise feels and whether you're getting the most out of each exercise, you can end your workout knowing you did your best.
Who is Xtend Barre for?
Anybody! What’s great about Xtend Barre is that it is low-impact so it’s great for all fitness levels. We help you to shape your muscles and feel stronger – all without requiring much equipment other than your own bodyweight!
What is Xtend @Home?
Xtend @Home is our online workout program that builds strength and confidence and delivers results, wherever you are. With a timetable of over 45 live-streamed classes every week from Xtend Barre, Pilates, Yoga, HIIT and more, there’s a class for whatever mood you’re in. Our incredible team of instructors guide you through the moves and keep you on your toes (literally), giving you the feeling of the real in-studio experience from the comfort of your own home.
What is your favourite Xtend Barre move?
Definitely the foldover! It’s a move that can be done anywhere, all you need is a flat surface like a kitchen bench. It strengthens your hips and tones your lower body giving you a peachy butt and beautifully toned legs!
We know lockdown 2.1 is hitting our Melbourne friends pretty hard so the team at Xtend Barre South Yarra are softening the blow with a 7 day free trial of their Xtend @Home offering. To claim the offer and start xtending your limits hit the link https://bit.ly/39U1eGB.