Tips to combat the COVID- 19 stress & anxiety this weekend
Posted on March 29 2020
10 things we’re doing this weekend to combat COVID- 19 stress & anxiety
Now more than ever our physical & mental health is SO important. Everyone has been impacted in someway or another from the COVID-19 pandemic and it’s so important that we not only look after each other but we also need to prioritise our own physical and mental health.
There is a lot of fear and unknown at the moment and this is being amplified in the media and all over social media. It is important to stay informed with what is going on but it is also important to learn your limits and disconnect when you’re feeling overwhelmed, anxious & overloaded.
It is important to understand that everyone has been effected during this time and that you are not alone. Everyone is going through a hard time right now so it’s important that we come together and fight this battle together, rather than trying to take it all on alone. You need to look after yourself and reach out to loved ones when you’re struggling.
We charge our phones & computers daily and it's important that we do the same ourselves or else we will burn ourselves out. A little bit of self care every day will turn into a big results in the long run.
Here are 10 things we’re doing this weekend to combat stress & anxiety during this crazy time:
- Detox from social media - Although Instagram & Facebook is a great way to stay connected with friends and family, it’s important to disconnect from it from time to time especially during a time when it’s full of fearful & stressful information. We’ve been handed a time to self isolate so it’s the perfect chance to deep dive within ourselves and reflect and reset on our values, goals and intentions for the year.
- Clean & declutter our space - A clean and organised home does wonders for our mental state. It is also very cleansing to spring clean our spaces/things. Removing old and unwanted things allows us to create space for new & exciting things. If you’re anything like me, your house will be 'tidy' but you may have a “drawer” (or 5) full of “things/crap” whatever you like to call it, this is the perfect time to go through these spaces and clear out the old unwanted things. It’s also a great time to do a stocktake on what you do have.
- Exercise - Move your body, get your heart rate up, break a sweat! It is actually amazing how much this improves your mood and helps to shift stagnant negative energy through your body. There’s so many at home workouts that you can do with no equipment needed! Your Instagram feed is probably BURSTING with at home workouts at the moment but if you’re looking for some more inspiration we have put our workout template at the bottom of this post :)
- Meditate - Take time to connect with your breath this weekend. When we’re feeling stressed and anxious we tend to breathe really quick & shallow breaths, it’s so important to slow down & connect in to how you’re breathing. Meditation does not have to be hard, it’s important not to overthink it. Try to think of meditation as a three step process that is repeated over and over: Step 1: focus on a chosen object (e.g. your breath, body, sounds, a mantra etc.); Step 2: lose focus (e.g. distracted by thoughts) and notice you have lost focus; Step 3: re-focus on your chosen object - repeat! Try to do this for 5-10 minutes each day, this will help to clear your mind and allow your thoughts to flow.
- Beauty self-care - There’s nothing we love more than having cleanly washed and treated hair and a freshly scrubbed & moisturised face. Today we’re going to take some time out to do just this! Apply your favourite hair mask and while it’s working it’s magic, give yourself a facial and show your skin some love. You will feel so much better after this!
- Burn a candle - Get your favourite candle burning! There’s something very soothing, comforting & cleansing about having a candle burning. We love having one going while we clean and do our self-care routines. We’ve been burning a coconut and lime candle lately and it’s been making me so happy! The smell of it reminds me of summer which is my favourite time of year :)
- Get some sunshine & fresh air - Head out for a walk, sit outside and read a book or call a friend. If you're going for a walk make sure you try to keep your 1.5m distances from others but don't forget that it's still so important to get some fresh air & sunshine daily for your health.
- Read a book - Loose yourself in one of your favourite books or get stuck in to a new book you’ve been wanting to read but haven’t had the time! It can be an amazing escape into another world and a great distraction from the uncertainty & fear that's being projected in our world at the moment.
- Reach out to friends & family - This weekend we’re taking time to reach out to our loved ones and making sure they’re doing ok. Self isolation can be extremely difficult & lovely, especially for those who already suffer with anxiety and/or depression. Check in on everyone and ask them how they’re doing. Have open and honest conversations. With more free time, now is a good chance to catch up on this whether it be a phone call, message or email. Let people know that they’re cared for & that you care about them.
- Change your bed sheets - There's no better feeling at night then jumping into a bed that's been freshly made with clean crisp sheets. Set yourself up for a great week and good nights sleep with clean sheets.
We hope you are staying safe & well during this crazy time. Look after one another and most importantly look after your mental & physical health!
Workout Template Inspiration:
45:15 - 45 seconds working out 15 seconds recovery between each exercise
Each round has 5 different exercises, you can swap the exercises to whatever you like this is just a guide of what we've currently be doing during isolation.
1st round (45:15)
- Squat jumps - touch the floor with your hands during each squat (like a frog)
- Push ups - do as many on toes as you can then regress to your knees
- Sit ups with 4 air punches at the top of each push up
- Reverse lunges - alternating each side each time
- Shadow boxing - cross, jab (or freestyle)
2nd round (45:15)
- Ice skaters
- Push ups with a twist and reach to sky alternating sides each time
- Sit ups with a hook punch to the ground each side (obliques will burn)
- Star jumps
3rd round (45:15)
- Crawl out to push up position crawl back up and jump - repeat
- High knees
- V sit
- Sit up toe taps
- Push ups
TABATA Round to finish - 20:10 (20 seconds of work 10 seconds rest) x 10
Skipping as quick as you can (Pretend to skip if you don’t have a rope)
Burpees or squat jumps